Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making Difficult Decisions Which Hurt for a Very Long Time

Lessons from Life, Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Making Difficult Decisions Which Hurt for a Very Long Time

Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again. ~Rosa Parks

God is closest to those with broken hearts. ~Jewish Saying

God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces. ~Author Unknown

All quotes from www.quotegarden.com

Today I reread a poem I had written when I made an extremely difficult and painful decision. In reading it, I remembered all kinds of other hurts associated with the same type of thing. The situation was that I returned a cat to the Humane Society that I adopted. He exhibited feral behavior, so they would have euthanized him. When I had him, he would be sweet one minute and attacking Sasha or me the next. I always wished there was more I could have done for him, since I loved him intensely. I made the decision to euthanize him, so I would receive his ashes from a private cremation. As I worked through this again today, other difficult but necessary decisions came to mind. These decisions tend to haunt me for quite a long time. In the process of being hurt by them, I know that the Lord is there to hold me in His arms and comfort me. No one can comfort the way Jesus can. I think it is His specialty.
Below is the poem.

Today I Crossed…
10/2/07

~in memory of my sweet Gandalf~

the Rainbow Bridge.
The first step was scary,
but then Monique was there,
walking with me.

Along the way, Mommy’s
many other cats and guinea pigs,
especially Tiger, guided my
path, since they knew the way.
Even Brownie, Mommy’s rat,
said hello to me and snuggled
up against me.

At the end of the bridge,
Tana and Squirt were there
to greet me. They heard I
was coming and had prepared
me a dish of my favorite
food – chicken and lobster.

I miss you Mommy. Please
tell Sasha I miss her, too,
and never meant to be rough
with her. I only wanted to play.

Well, I have to go, Prudence
is calling me to have a game
of catch with her new ball. She’s
been here the longest, and will
introduce me to all my new
playmates.

Today I’m grateful for the tears I can shed to cleanse me from holding the hurt inside and that I had so many people and pets in my life (ones who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge) for the amount of time God lent them to me. I am blessed that I was able to give Gandalf one more year of life that he might not have had.

In the Comfort of Jesus’ Arms, Michelle Rose

No comments: