Thursday, March 5, 2009

Learning to Teach Others

Lessons from Life, Thursday, March 05, 2009

???????
“?$% Kitty typing
“?$%

Learning To Teach Others

“To teach is to learn twice.” ~Joseph Joubert, Pensées, 1842

From http://www.quotegarden.com

“If you want to learn something, read about it.
If you want to understand something, write about it.
If you want to master something, teach it.”
~Yogi Bhajan~ On as sign at GoldenBridge (a yoga center) in Hollywood

I substitute teach and tutor. In doing both, I learn. Many times, I sub for math classes, like I did today. In the past I did not like math, but in recent years since I’ve been tutoring it, I’ve developed a curiosity about the subject.

With most of the math classes I learn something. Of course, some courses are beyond my knowledge, but in subjects like algebra and geometry, I’ve learned more than I ever thought I would. This not only interests me, it helps me when I tutor.

This concept is something I learned when I was tutoring English one semester. I was teaching a student about direct and indirect objects. When I first started, I became a little confused, but the more I taught it to students, the more I understood direct and indirect objects in a sentence. I believe there is no time wasted in the pursuit of knowledge – it’s all valuable.

My gratitude today is that I substituted at my favorite high school and learned something in the math classes I was assigned, that God is using me as a growing vessel to teach others, and that He loves me more than I can ever adequately understand.

Living in His Classroom Called Life, Michelle Rose

No comments: