Friday, March 6, 2009

Becoming Accustomed to Changes


Lessons from Life, Friday, March 06, 2009

Becoming Accustomed to Changes

“We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails.” ~Bertha Calloway, an African-American community activist and historian in No. Omaha, NB. Founder of the Negro Historical Society~

My landlord was working on my new apartment today. The tile he was using for the bathroom is so pretty. In addition, he was using some pieces of granite in the shower stall. Little by little, I am seeing the new place I’ll live in.

It’s going to be quite a change from where I live now and sometimes when I go down there, like today, I focus on how small the room is. Then I remind myself that when I move in there, I’ll finally be able to decorate a place I’m living beautifully, something I’ve always wanted to do.

Yes, it will take some time to become accustomed to the smaller place, but what I sometimes fail to realize is that too often in life I focus on what my eyes can see in immediately in front of me, rather than what I can’t see in the future possibilities. Isn’t this concept what can make life so surprising? The endless variety of opportunities life has to offer. Even what at the time appears to be bad and frustrating can have value. (For example, the increasing pain in my knee, where I fell on it several weeks ago) For me, it’s all a matter of my attitude and what it is at any one moment in regards to what happens in my life.

My gratitude is that I have money to pay the bills and in my wallet, a priceless gift after being without money for sometime. I’m also grateful to the Lord who watches over me in every situation.

Seeing Life with Different Eyes, Michelle Rose

No comments: