Monday, April 13, 2009

A Cup of Comfort


Lessons from Life, Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Cup of Comfort

“Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today.”
~Matthew 6:32-34~

Today I left my place early to get into Eagle Rock, so I could have lunch before tutoring my student. However, the student never showed, never called, never “nothinged.” To say I was upset is putting it mildly, since this is not the first time this student has done this to me. I wanted to yell and scream at the mother, but she’d gone out and left the student at home, besides it’s not good business to do that. I called my coordinator and blew off a bit of steam with him. He understood, as I’d told him this student and her mother did this on several occasions.

I decided to get back to Hollywood and go to Starbuck’s to have a cup of decaf espresso and a blueberry bar if they had them. I’m not sure why, but the bitterness of the espresso has always been soothing to me. That’s my physical cup of comfort. I didn’t make any money this week, but the Lord’s cup of comfort is being with me in a time when I feel quite depressed and upset. Yes, I’m concerned about money.

Sometimes I really like working in education, but the uncertainty of it does not make me comfortable. I’ll stay in it for right now, since this is how I know how to make money. I feel, though that God is somehow telling me to keep looking for something else in which I be more suited and more successful. I’ve got the sense that I’ve been following others’ paths most of my life, and now, even at this late age, it’s time to break free and choose something that is uniquely my own.

My gratitude is that the espresso soothed me and that I have the intrinsic knowledge and understanding that God loves me even when I don’t feel lovely.

Comforted by My Saviour, Michelle Rose

No comments: