Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Payday and Blessings


I woke up early this morning. Well, I had something to do, then I went back to sleep for another couple of hours. When I woke up, I was ready to wake up and got out of bed right away. Today is a beautiful day - the sun is shining and the temperature will be warm again. I get my deposit from SSDI, so I can pay my rent, buy some things I need, and get my hair cut tonight.

It's only 9:48, but my day has been filled already with so many blessings. I read a short article in Charles Stanley's In Touch called, "An Hour of Gratitude." The author goes about her day, doing her normal routine, but everytime she does something, she thinks about how many people are without what she has. I went to the bathroom in one with a toilet that flushed and a sink with soap and water to clean my hands. How many people don't have facilities like this? I washed my dishes and my cat's dishes in my sink with clean, running water. So many people in the world don't have clean water to drink, much less flowing water. I fed my cat and myself with food I bought from the grocery store and kept in the refrigerator. How many of the world's people go without food and clean water? I turned on my computer to type this and catch up on other news online. How many of the people in world in 3rd world countries don't even have electricity, much less computers? I'm looking out the window of my studio apartment - the window has glass in it. How many of the world's people live in huts they've made from what the earth gives and don't have glass in their windows? After breakfast I'll take a shower, get on the bus, and go to the bank to do some shopping and go to an AA meeting. Again, how many of the world's 3rd world people, don't have any of those things?

It hasn't even been an hour yet, but I've put down a whole list of things that I sometimes take for granted. And, as I go throughout today, I'll think of other things for which to be grateful and pray for those in my life or not who are in need. Gratitude like certain lessons in life never end.

No comments: