Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Life's messes and the "clean-up crew"

"18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life hand down to you from your forefthers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. I Peter 1:18-19 (NIV)

This morning I woke up to a mess my cat had left by the bathroom door. She had an accident and it wasn't her fault. I simply cleaned it up without becoming angry with her. Even when Sasha, my cat, gets miffed and attacks me because I've crossed one of her boundaries and attacks me, I don't get angry, but love her where she's at in the moment.

Similarly, when I sin or make a mistake, Jesus doesn't get mad at me, since He died to wash away my sin. That doesn't mean I intentionally sin, but do my best to walk away from temptation when it presents itself.

Yesterday, I was talking to the woman who moved into my old apartment next door when I had my last roommate. One of the things I said to her was that Ed and I did not get along well - he wanted me out of the apartment - but things worked out exactly the way they were supposed to. That's true, but God brought me through the experience of 3 roommates with whom I didn't get along, until He brought me to the place where I'm in an apartment I can afford and have the serenity I sought. The point is that if I can forgive Sasha and God can forgive me, then I can forgive my last 3 roommates for hurting me. It's just part of life. Messes happen, but the "cleanup crew" changes.

No comments: