Sunday, August 2, 2009

Optical Illusions

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Optical Illusions

“They say to the seers, ‘See no more visions!’ and to the prophets, ‘Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions.’”
~Isaiah 30:9-11 New International Version (NIV)~

“Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be.”
~ William Hazlitt, British Essayist~

I enjoy optical illusions, because it takes imagination and a bit of eye adjustment. Sometimes I can’t see the two images, since I do not have 20/20 vision. Life is similar. What I see often is not real; my brain sees what it chooses, then I get anxious. Illusions in life have caused me to eat – it’s mostly fear and mistrust, fear of what I think is real, and not trusting that my Saviour has the situation in hand (He always does).

Situations may not work out the way I want, but within every problem or situation, a solution is always present. Eating over something (which is typical for compulsive overeaters and others with eating disorders) never solved problems, just like when I got drunk to avoid facing a problem. After I’ve eaten compulsively, the problem still exists and must be faced. I heard a line in a movie I watched recently, which goes something like this: When you have a situation you fear, instead of running from it, run straight toward it. I like that. It dispels the situation and moves me into courage and growth. It’s a motto I’ve always had, but never put words to it.

In 12-step programs the acronym for fear is: False Evidence Appearing Real. The other acronym that exists uses foul language and is a coward’s way of looking at situations. Which way I choose on any given day depends on where I focus my sight. If I focus on my God, the choice is simple.

Michelle Rose

No comments: