Tuesday, August 4, 2009

From Low to High


Tuesday, August 04, 2009

From Low to High

Today, I will do something a little different. As I was reading my Bible this morning, I found something that relates to my life so well, that I decided to use it. The following passages are about how God works in my life and how my faith in Him helps me to maintain emotionally, physically, spiritually, and mentally.

Psalm 119: 25-32 NIV
25 I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.
* For many years, I suffered from deep depression, or episodes between extreme highs and extreme lows, until I learned how to control it and not let it control me. I will add that medication and therapy helped, but without my belief in Jesus, I would still be empty.

26 I recounted my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees.
* In the course of my life, I’ve had to change many of my ways and habits, so that I not only feel better emotionally, but finally come to the decision to change other habits as well to improve physically.

27 Let me understand the teaching of you precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.
* The more I read the Bible and learn about the Word of God, the more I understand the decisions and directions to make in my life.

28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
* I have been in some very deep, dark places that I wasn’t sure I either would get out of or wanted to get out of. My feeling was that if I stayed in these places, I did not have as far to go the next time a crisis happened in my life. But, continued Bible reading helped me to escape these places.

29 Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through your law.
* In so many areas of my life, I’ve lied to myself about what I was doing and its affect on me. Only through reading the Bible, following Jesus as my Saviour have I come to know the truth about myself. I was also helped my many supportive friends.

30 I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
* I’ve learned that lying to myself about what’s best for me, hurts me and sometimes others. The way of truth for me is to follow God; He never lies to me. I can always live in His truth.

31 I hold fast to your statutes; O Lord do not let me be put to shame.
* For such a long time I’ve been apologetic about my faith, not wanting to insult anyone, but it is my faith and it helps me in my life. If I am ashamed about Jesus being my Saviour and don’t follow His word, He will be ashamed of me, although He will never leave me. He always loves me. The awe of this brings tears to my eyes and is a realization so incredible that my mind can’t contain the whole concept of it.

32 I run in the path of your commands; for you have set my heart free.
* Jesus path has become my way. My belief in Him and His love set me free as no other method I tried in my life. Drugs, alcohol, smoking, food, sex, belief in different religious practices, isolating – none of these filled the hole inside me like Jesus. It is only with Him in my life that I will become or am free of what binds me to negativity or held me hostage.

Michelle Rose

No comments: