Monday, August 3, 2009

Cravings

Monday, August 03, 2009

Cravings

Ecclesiastes 9:11, "I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein


Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

The past few weeks I have had terrible cravings. Ok, I one of the yearnings is for a certain kind of pizza. Each time I do not give in, I am winning a war, if not the whole battle, since the urge becomes weaker each time I say NO! This usually happens late at night, another battle I’m having with myself – staying up very late (or early as the case may be) at night. When taking things away from the body, it’s entirely normal to have cravings for what’s been taken away.

The last couple nights I wanted to go out in the middle of the night to satisfy my yen – it’s like I was pregnant, they were that strong – to either the 24-hour donut place or Ralph’s, which is open 24 hours. I fought back with a cup of vegetarian broth or some fruit. Of course, I don’t like to eat in the middle of the night, but sometimes I do if I’m awake and I feel very hungry. I cannot take my medications on an empty stomach.

Several solutions exist for this problem. First, do more praying than I have been about the Lord taking away the cravings; focus on the Lord, not the food. Second, go to bed earlier, so I can get up earlier. Third, eat my meals earlier. Fourth, eat six smaller meals, rather than 3 larger ones. Fifth, look at shows like Oprah Winfrey, who was talking about the topic of extreme weight. It was very sad and helped me to have more determination to overcome this disease.

Friday I see the nutritionist. I need his help, but I’m happy that I’ve started seeking solutions on my own.

Michelle Rose

No comments: