Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weeding My Mind


Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weeding My Mind

You must weed your mind as you would weed your garden. ~Astrid Alauda

When I eat things that make my body and my mind like a flower garden that been untended and needs work, I’m cluttering it with weeds. Unhealthy foods and eating too fast or only certain kinds of foods definitely have a physical affect on me. I find that out with healthy and junk foods.

Last night I made one of my favorite vegan dishes – tofu, broccoli, and wild rice, with a bit of strawberry vinaigrette for flavor. I didn’t realize how much I craved this dish. I wonder why, if I like these kinds of foods so much, do I want to clutter my body (garden, temple, whatever you want to comparison can be used) with weeds like chocolate and other junk foods. I’ve pretty much given up eating things like potato chips and donuts – ok, to be truthful, I’ve eaten them on occasion after I said I wouldn’t eat them again – but I think about how they affect me, especially since I have high cholesterol and triglycerides (fancy words for ugly fat-clogged arteries).

If the Lord designed my body to be receptive to healthy foods, then eating other kinds of food isn’t in line with God’s plan for me. Maybe if I think of it this way, then it will be something I can deal with – not the good food/bad food paradox. I will be able to stay closer to the “temple” thinking. Face it, I only have one body, one life, a limited number of chances during this life to do what’s healthy for myself in the short span of time I’m here.

Michelle Rose

No comments: